Monday 19 November 2012

Not all of the Netherlands is flat

“Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.”
- Haruki Murakami

If you ever want to know where the Dutch have hidden their hills, just go to Nijmegen. When I was initially told about the Zevenheuvelenloop (seven hills run) I took the use of the word 'hill' with a pinch of salt. After all, this is a flat country and you can probably argue that there are more inverted hills than actual ones!

But as I heard more and more about this race I began to realise that this was probably going to be quite tough. As I waited with 15,000 other people in the back streets of Nijmegen I was wondering how steep these hills really were. Take a look at this image that shows the profile of the run...


Now let me assure you that the centre part is red for a very good reason. Now take a look at this picture...


...and you may begin to realise that when they say hills they really do mean it! So, in short, it was a pretty tough run but I still managed 1:15:31, which I am extremely pleased with!

I was very lucky in the fact that work sponsored our team to attend as part of their Fit For Work scheme. Here is a picture of me and two colleagues before the race!


Congratulations to everyone from Fugro that ran with us that day - it was tiring, but great!

No comments:

Post a Comment