Saturday 5 January 2013

While you're there...

"Tomorrow, is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one." - Brad Paisley

Happy New Year from Newcastle upon Tyne!

First of all, dear reader, I hope you had a nice Christmas and New Year. Like me, you probably went home for Christmas. But for me I had the added joy of being able to gorge on all the British food and drink that you don't easily get in the Netherlands. This is a list of my top 5 (in no particular order) whilst I was in Blighty...

Curry


Hmmm... Chicken Balti!

Now, I know what you're thinking. Curry isn't British. Well, let me reassure you that it has pretty much become a British institution! The one thing I brought with me to the Netherlands when I moved over here was two jars of Patak's Curry Paste. I love eating curry (the Indian sort) and here in the Netherlands it just isn't as popular. So when I was visiting the UK, the first meal I had was a takeaway curry with my Dad. Perfect!

Pint of Bitter


Refreshing pint of bitter at The Forth in Newcastle

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, bitter is that warm, flat beer we drink Britain. As much as I love a refreshingly cool biertje, be it Heineken, Grolsch or perhaps even La Chouffe from over the border, there is still nothing like a good pint of Deuchar's IPA, Timothy Taylor's Landlord or a Rivet Catcher!

Fish & Chips


Having spent a delightful afternoon in the Friet Museum in Bruges, there is very little I don't know about how a potato is chipped. But there was one thing they missed out. It's best served with salt, vinegar and a large battered fish!

Fish & Chips at Banny's Fish & Chip Restaurant in Colne, Lancashire

It wouldn't really be a trip home if we didn't go on a family trip to a fish and chip restaurant. For those less familiar with British cuisine, the green stuff is mushy peas and the white paste is tartare sauce!

Full English Breakfast



Famous throughout the world for basically being a heart attack on a plate, it is obviously not the meal to start every day. But every now and again, having a full English breakfast is an indulgence that has to be done! It is especially good after a heavy night on the beer. I was especially lucky to have it cooked by my Dad on one particular morning, meaning I didn't even have to get out of my pyjamas.

Christmas Dinner


Last, but by no means least, it has to be the traditional Christmas dinner!

Christmas dinner in the Goode household

1 comment:

  1. Peas for Christmas dinner always strikes me as a peculiar vegetable choice. Peas are what you have with fish fingers and chips! Parsnips, sprouts and beans (runner, not baked!) graced the Christmas dinner table at ours this year!

    ReplyDelete